Re: herbs > antibiotics/pesticides

Bonnie: There are many, many good sources of info. on the web re: Mad
Cow Disease ( formally known as BSE--Bovine spongiform encephalopathy).
I guess I tended to speak about it as a virus since to nonscientific
folks, the term virus is meaningful. However, technically you are
correct...it is yet to be determined what exactly the "agent" that
causes BSE is...two theories currently prevail with critics and
supporters fairly equally split among them...there is the "Prion theory"
which indicates that a prion, which is a self-replicating protein, is
the causative agent...then there is the virus theory, popular in part
because the agent that causes BSE is known to contain nucleic acids just
as viruses do and also because it is capable of mutating itself into
multiple strains, which is typical of viral agents. So, I guess we'll
let the real scientists who know more about this stuff do their genetic
thing in labs and find out what the real answer is...I am sure that just
like with HIV we will go through a number of "guesses" until the real
agent is found. Thanks for the reminder to be more semantically precise
with my language...it is appreciated.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Sat 01/04, Bonnie M. Holmes wrote:From: Bonnie
M. Holmes [mailto: holmesbm@usit.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Sat,
04 Jan 2003 07:37:26 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs >
antibiotics/pesticidesHave we determined that mad cow is a virus? I
failed to notice that...I thought there were two theories neither
proven...one a microorganism and the other a protein that induces
crystallization. What have I missed? Do you have a reference?Bonnie 6+
ETNAt 08:25 PM 1/1/03 -0500, you wrote:>Let's examine some of the
reasons farmers use pesticides and antibiotics>in the first
place...namely that consumers who buy their products (i.e.>Mr/Ms/Mrs.
Smith who go grocery shopping every day) don't want to find>meal bugs in
their cereal or worms on thier fruits/vegetables...no, they>want all of
their food to appear perfectly ripe, with no hint whatsoever>of insect
infestation. We the consumers demand leaner and leaner cuts of>meat,
which is muscle and is not something the average cow is going to>grow
much of just standing around in a fenced in field munching on>grass; not
to mention the near devastation of Britain's meat industry>over mad cow
disease, which is a **virus** not a bacteria!! ...all I'm>saying, in
defense of farmers, as I'm doing a Donna and ducking and>running...is
that if consumers did not demand the level of perfection in>their
foodstuffs that they do, then there wouldn't really be a perceived>need
for antibiotics and pesticides, now would there? Also, has anyone>heard
of yellow rice? It is genetically engineered rice that is rich
in>Vitamin A and is saving the sight of millions of 3rd world
persons>around the world!! Not all of this science is bad
stuff.>>>Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>>"The most beautiful thing we can experience
is the mysterious.">--Albert Einstein --- On Tue 12/31, David Franzman
<>dfranzma@pacbell.net > wrote:From: David Franzman
[mailto:>dfranzma@pacbell.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Tue, 31 Dec
2002>14:02:39 -0800Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs >
antibiotics/pesticidesYou'r

e>right but germs aren't the only things. We're also breeding
superinsects>that are immune to pesticides. Must be nice to be in
thepetro-chemical>field.DFMargaret Lauterbach wrote:> Yes, it is
amazing. What's more,>the more exposure we have to antibiotics,> the
less effective they>are. We're breeding supergerms that aren't>
affected by antibiotics.>I've heard that nurses who work with IVs a
lot> are immune to the>effects of most antibiotics because every time
they spike> a bag,>they get a whiff of it. Margaret L>>
>Margaret,> >It's>amazing what they can get away with isn't
it?> >> >So now>you say they're being sprayed on crops. I
have a tough time>>>grasping how such wanton abuse of antibiotics
is justified.>>>>
>Kitty>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------->>To
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
the>>message text