Re: RE: burning/healthcare

In a message dated 1/6/03 12:21:35 AM, mhobertm@excite.com writes:

<< ..could you tell me what an industrial engineer
does, precisely? My son told me a couple of days ago he is thinking he
wants to be both a chemist and an engineer...is there such a thing?
Melody, there is a chemical engineering degree which provides lots of
opportunities.  My brother was a CE student at ISU many years ago and worked
for John Deere as a summer hire.  During that summer he found he was allergic
to many of the chemicals requiring him to alter his studies.
    An Industrial engineer works with time & method.  You may have heard the
term 'time study'.  This is the work of an IE.  We set the work standards for
the production employees providing micro elements of work & time allotted for
 the most efficient method to maintain the tolerances and quality as rqd by
Deere yet provide an incentive opportunity for the production employee.  In
other words, this is what we will pay you to perform this operation in this
prescribed method but if you can do it faster you will be compensated.  No
doubt, you have work standards as I remember you saying you were involved
with the union.  Your standards would must likely be measured daywork.
    The last 15 yrs I was the programmer/analyst for the IE dept.  At that
time 85% of the work standards were computer set.  Deere also had the most
complete & advanced IE system in the industry. Business systems analyst did
not have the technical knowledge rqd to provide an engineering system.  Also,
because Deere is a union shop the contractual obligations were also a
consideration.  Business systems depts work with by the concept provide the
details of the service rqd and wait your turn.  This is not a possible
solution when you are dealing in a production mode and must have the problem
solved immediately to maintain shop production not when they have time.  This
is probably more than you ever wanted to know.
    Best of luck to your son and his interests.