Re: terms

 But from a rhizome?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 01/09, Pamela J. Evans wrote:From: Pamela
J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 06:01:36 -0600Subject: Re: [CHAT] termsHollyhocks are
self-seeding biennials. Mine do exactly the same thing, even the ones in
pots! ---------- Original Message
----------------------------------From: "Melody" Reply-To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 05:20:51 -0500 (EST)>So what do
they call perennials that only produce foliage and blooms>every other
year? A few years back, I was astounded to find a huge>rhizome of what
turned out to be a hollyhock buried in my back yard>underneath grass
that had been being mowed for years on end...I dug it>up and
transplanted it to my garden...it was easily well over a foot>long and
several inches thick. Now, safe from being mowed down, it lives>on but
it only comes up every other year, blooms like mad and seeds>itself
every where but the next year it is no where to be seen...Is this>thing
just a freak of nature or do other plants have a growth pattern>similar
to this?>>>>Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>>"The most beautiful thing we can
experience is the mysterious." >--Albert Einstein>>On Wed 01/08, Kitty
wrote:From: Kitty [mailto:
kmrsy@earthlink.net]To:>gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 08 Jan 2003
09:38:58 -0800Subject: Re:>[CHAT] termsClaire, Thanks. Personally, I
find Biennial less confusing.>I did a little morelooking around and
found this at Papa Geno's:"...Then>there is the confusion about the
terms "Annual," "Biennial"(sometimes>written as "Bi-Annual"), and
Excite! -

    http://www.excite.com>The

most personalized portal on the
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the>message
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT>>--Pam EvansKemp TX/zone