Re: terms/hollyhock??

Kitty: Other than tree roots, I've never seen a root this big...it
literally was over a foot long, about 4 inches in diameter at its
midpoint, and weighed several pounds...it was massive. Also, without
digging it up again, I don't think I can answer about new plants arising
at points along the "rhizome'" (if that's what it is)...I can tell you
that when it puts out stalks and leaves and then flowers, it's always in
the same spot where I buried it...but it does self-seed pretty
prolifically so now I have hollyhocks growing up to about 10 feet away
from where I buried the original as well as around the corner of the
house, about fifty feet away (i'm still trying to figure that out!)

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

On Fri 01/10, Kitty < kmrsy@earthlink.net > wrote:From: Kitty
[mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 10 Jan
2003 07:55:15 -0800Subject: Re: [CHAT] terms/hollyhock??Melody, Are you
sure it's not just a fat root traveling horizontally? Do new plantsarise
at other places along this rhizome?

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com