Re: terms/hollyhock??

I've had tobacco and Amaranth plants with big roots like that.  I've never
grown hollyhocks so I can't say for sure, but....
When I've checked plants in reference materials, they will be decribed as
rhizomatous if indeed they have rhizomes.  If they don't have rhizomes,
tubers, bulbs, tuberous roots, or some other storage system, nothing is
mentioned other than perennial, biennial, etc.
When I look up Alcea in Botanica (which is what I have at work) nothing is
mentioned.  So I tried something else: Try Googling "Alcea rhizome" or
"Hollyhock rhizome".  I could not find a single entry that contained the two
words next to each other.
Sounds like a fat root to me.