Re: terms/hollyhock??

Kitty: Okay, so I'm willing to be open to the possibility of it being a
fat root...but do you, or anyone else, think it's possible for a root to
lie dormant in the ground for such a long time (years)?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Fri 01/10, Kitty < kmrsy@earthlink.net >
wrote:From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:33:20 -0800Subject: Re:
[CHAT] terms/hollyhock??I've had tobacco and Amaranth plants with big
roots like that. I've nevergrown hollyhocks so I can't say for sure,
but....When I've checked plants in reference materials, they will be
decribed asrhizomatous if indeed they have rhizomes. If they don't have
rhizomes,tubers, bulbs, tuberous roots, or some other storage system,
nothing ismentioned other than perennial, biennial, etc.When I look up
Alcea in Botanica (which is what I have at work) nothing ismentioned. So
I tried something else: Try Googling "Alcea rhizome"
or"Hollyhock rhizome". I could not find a single entry that
contained the twowords next to each other.Sounds like a fat root to
me.KittyOn Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:17:40 -0500 (EST) Melody
<mhobertm@excite.com> wrote:> Kitty: Other than tree roots,
I've never seen a> root this big...it> literally was over a foot
long, about 4 inches> in diameter at its> midpoint, and weighed
several pounds...it was> massive. Also, without> digging it up
again, I don't think I can answer> about new plants arising> at
points along the "rhizome'" (if that's what> it is)...I can
tell you> that when it puts out stalks and leaves and> then
flowers, it's always in> the same spot where I buried it...but it
does> self-seed pretty> prolifically so now I have hollyhocks
growing> up to about 10 feet away> from where I buried the
original as well as> around the corner of the> house, about fifty
feet away (i'm still trying> to figure that out!)> > >
Melody, IA (Z 5/4)> > "The most beautiful thing we can
experience is> the mysterious." > --Albert Einstein> >
On Fri 01/10, Kitty < kmrsy@earthlink.net> > wrote:From:
Kitty> [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To:> gardenchat@hort.n

etDate: Fri, 10 Jan> 2003 07:55:15 -0800Subject: Re: [CHAT]>
terms/hollyhock??Melody, Are you> sure it's not just a fat root
traveling> horizontally? Do new plantsarise> at other places along
this rhizome?> > >