everbloooming calla lilies/ hummingbird rescue

I neighbor around the corner has some very large calla lilies that are
blooming again/still.  It seems that they are almost always blooming.  Is
there some trick to this?  My callas all die back in winter and then get new
growth in spring- but the neighbors keep a nice clump of green leaves and
keep blooming all year.  Any ideas/explainations?

Sac, CA

Oh- I also wanted to share my near disaster with a hummer.  One flew into my
window on Wednesday- while i was working at home.  I heard the thud and saw
my cat glued to the window staring to looked out to investigate.  I was
crushed when I saw the little Anna's hummer twitching upside-down on the
sidewalk.  I went out and gently picked him up (the last time a bird did
this the neighbor cat grabbed it in a matter of seconds) and smoothed his
little feathers down.  He chirped at me once, but was clearly in shock
breathing very rapidly.  His body temp was warmer than my hands, so I was
trying to find someplace safe and warm for him to recover.  I nudged him
into a roosting pocket hanging on my arbor and went back inside to try and
find something to help get him warmer.  I found one of those microwavable
neck wraps and popped it into the microwave to heat up (my idea was to wrap
it around the roosting pocket to give him some radiant heat).  While it was
heating I went back outside to check on the little guy.  He was still
breathing oddly, but still alive.  I went in to get the heat wrap when the
microwave beeped and when I went back outside- the hummer had flown away!
So, I kept my eye out for him and he did return to drink from my feeder
about 10 min later ( I had refilled it with warm sugar water for him).  It
was the same one, as he still was rather rumpled looking.  I have also seen
him periodically since then.  So I think he's going to make it!  yeah!  I
was just so horrified when I first saw him on his back- I thought for sure
he'd broken his little neck.  I do wonder what spooked him enough to hit the
window- these guys are usually so acrobatic!