From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty Morrissy
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 8:42 PM
To: GardenChat
Subject: RE: [CHAT] everbloooming calla lilies/ hummingbird rescue

We have to dig our callas here, so I don't have much to offer except...
Do you keep yours watered?  If you let them dry out as winter approaches, I
think that's part of their internal signal to die back.  There are a lot of
plants that are supposed to go dormant and dissappear in summer that
sometimes don't if you keep them well watered.  Could be the same on the
reverse for winter dormancy in a warmer climate.

Since you've been kind enough to offer the group something to work on, I
just now decided to look up what I could.  John Bryan says they like lots
of water and fertilizer and that you should cut back on both from Oct to
May.  I assume to help induce dormancy. Maybe your neighbor is pushing them
to keep going.  He goes on to say the growing period should have nights
above 40 degrees  - what're your temps like?

The IBC in Holland says they are to be stored dry at 13C, that they're to
be planted  from Dec to May in the US, that flowering takes place 3 months
after planting in the colder months but only 60-70 days after planting in
May.  They indicate they need lots of sun to flower - how's your sunshine
these days?

And another possibility - could your neighbor be staggering her plantings?

BTW - glad your hummer survived!