Re: poke

In a message dated 1/13/03 3:10:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, mtalt@hort.net
writes:

Well, Cathy, it may not have taken over the entire eastern US, but
that's not from lack of trying.  My neighbors have a berm with a
fence on top of it so they can't see what is growing on it (and don't
care)...it is about 70' long and completely covered in poke of
majestic proportions.>>>>

Respectfully take issue here.  I live in the Eastern US and poke is a
roadside show every fall.  Poke is a plant contained only by the forest edge,
a mower of some kind or roadside chemicals.

We have a big patch on a lower field.  The back is to the woods, the front is
stopped by a mower clearing the field yearly.  I have learned, as Marge
describes, to ID the seedlings and give them a stop immediately.  This poke
patch and a patch of Canada thistle (another garden horror) are scheduled for
Round-Up this spring.  I suspect it will actually be round one.

There is enough poke in my county to supply the whole USA.

Claire Peplowski
Rensselaer County
NYS z4