Re: poke

In a message dated 1/13/03 3:10:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, mtalt@hort.net
writes:

Deer will nibble on the younger leaves, but don't really keep the
plants in check.  I've never seen any insect damage (more's the pity)
and don't know of anything that eats it nor have I seen disease
problems.  It prefers sun but will grow in deep shade, albeit not
very lustily...but it grows and flowers and sets seed on plants only
a foot or two tall.

Marge,

There is no justice sometimes. Poke is a toxic plant and if there were some
justice it would send a few deer to deer heaven but they survive it.  They
also survive Kalmia which kills sheep and goats.  Something I suppose about
the native beast evolving with the native plant.  Still I am no lover of poke
once I found the seedlings in cultivated space.  The berries stain everything
they touch and are positively dangerous to small children.

The native plant grown in competition with other equally strong plants,
usually field grasses is not as rampant.  Along the roadsides it is
fertilized by the tons of chemicals distributed all winter and when spring
comes it rises quickly and with super health.  Plants more desirable are
killed by road chemicals.  White pines are severely damaged and maples
develop a wasting disease - poke comes on like gangbusters.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4