Re: everbloooming calla lilies

In a message dated 1/13/03 7:36:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tchessie@yahoo.com writes:

> "Zantedeschia aethiopica grows from 0.6-1 m but may get taller in the shade.
> It has lush looking dark green leaves with an arrow head shape. The size
> varies according to the amount of shade. The flowers appear in a main flush
> from August to January, although there may be the odd flower at other times
> of
> the year also. "

This is an evergreen and everblooming species grown indoors.  I don't know
where the original questioned was posted from so I say in a container.  Here
under glass it becomes a huge plant ( over four feet ) and blooms from time
to time all year around.  Z. aethiopica has a smaller form called Z.
aethiopica 'Childsiana' which is a better container plant as it is the same
plant but much smaller, a dwarf form.

Most of what is purchased in catalogs will be hybrid forms so the culture
will follow whatever is in the mix. They go dormant here and ultimately have
a very short bloom period for the trouble.  They sure are pretty in catalog

My sister lives in the West Palm Beach area of Florida where these plants
grow outdoors.  They are by origin swampy land plants and are called pig
lilies in Africa.   I don't know how far North one can go with outdoor
planting but along the Gulf coast it probably works.  It is not easy to find
other species and since they grow so large it is for you very southern
gardeners outdoors.

I have bought Childsiana twice and both times it was the species.  If you are
buying this plant and hope to have a species or a selection of a species it
may take a few times before you get the correct plant.

Aethopica will grow in a sunny winter window in a large, mean large as in
huge, container set in a dish of water.  One look down into the flower sort
of hooks one, a beautiful silky white cone.  We have given ours away to a
friend with more space or who thinks he has more space as gardeners think,
the space expands before your eyes and more plants than can be accommodated
always arrive.  I will buy Childsiana one more time, I am sure, and hope to
get the right plant.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4