Re: poke, immortal weeds

In a message dated 1/14/03 9:36:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Aplfgcnys@aol.com writes:

.  You have expressed distaste for
Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy),

There is no horticultural list in existence that does not get around to this
plant.  It is what I believe is called circum-polar, that is the whole
planet.  Old books on indoors plants advise that is makes a great basket of
greenery for winter months.  A variegated form is sold for containers.

You cannot win here, you cannot get rid of this pest unless you have small
and confined city garden.  If you have a country place and one small piece of
Glechoma, creeping Charlie, exists, more is coming.  Some plants cannot be
eradicated.  You may think them gone even for several years and then you
disturb some soil, perhaps strip some sod, and up comes the pest.  The
Northern form of horsetail (Equisetum) is also a permanent resident.  It may
do the nerves some good to accept that a few plants one hates with a passion
will not give up.  Therefore you chop off or pull up or crowd out if possible
these plants and dwell on your successes.

As well as the two above, we also have weed called Chenopodium or sour grass
which is of delicate root and wispy tops and wins all the battles.  Some of
the older folk in my area eat it in salads.  I remove it every swath through
a border and when I look over my shoulder, the damn thing is coming up and
smiling at me.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4