Re: Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)

Kitty: Would you care to share those favorite sites with the rest of us?
I, for one, would love anything that could help sort me out! LOL!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 01/16, Kitty Morrissy wrote:From: Kitty
Morrissy [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu,
16 Jan 2003 20:03:39 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: cimicifuga (aka black
snakeroot)Sally Ann,Most of those came from the RHS database and a few
from the French site,B&T World Seeds. Locally, everyone prefers Common
Names, which arecharming, but can be confusing. Even Asarum europaeum,
which most of uscall European Ginger uses the common name Snakeroot. So
when someone saysSnakeroot, are we talking the diminutive ginger or the
tall Cimicifuga(Actaea)? So I keep a few of these sites in my favorites
so I can sortthings out.Kitty> [Original Message]> From: SallyAnn > To:
> Date: 1/16/2003 4:44:19 PM> Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: cimicifuga (aka
black snakeroot)>> Kitty.> are you surrounded with tomes ,,,or just know
lots of Internet secrets???/> Your repertoire is just amazing!> SAinSA>
----- Original Message -----> From: Kitty > To: American Horticultural
Society's Gardening List> > Cc: > Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:12
PM> Subject: [CHAT] Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)>>> > Melody,> >
As Marge mentioned, cimicifugas have been transferred to the
genusActaea.> It> > can get confusing. But if you really want to be
confused, BlackSnakeroot> is> > only one of the common names used by
this plant. Depending on who youare> > talking to, it is called:> >> >
Black Cohosh> > Black Snakeroot> > Bugbane> > Bugwort> > Carrion Flower>
> Carrion Plume> > Rattletop> > Stink Feather> > Feather Wands> > Fairy
Wands> > Deerweed> > Rattleroot> > Rattleweed> > Squaw Root> > Swan's
Neck> > Virginia Snakeroot> > Summer Rockets> >> > You'll note a few
references to unpleasant smells and bugs in thesecommon> > names. Lore:
If the foul odor (C. racemosa only) and the name "Bugbane"> > doesn't
give you a clue that this plant has been used as an insect> repellent,>
> consider the fact that Cimicifuga is Latin for "bug repellent".> >> >
Kitty> >> >> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:58:15 -0500 CBRIA

N wrote:> >> > > "unpleasantly scented" flowers...Does anyone> > > grow>
> > this plant and/or know much about it? Just how> > > unpleasantly
scented is> > > it?"Balderdash"> > >> > > I have several clumps of the
stately> > > Cimicifuga simplex 'Atropurpurea' -not just> > > because of
their dramatic purple> > > foliage, -not just for their sturdy stems,
not> > > just for their hardiness, -not> > > just because of their tall,
long lasting creamy> > > bottlebrush flowers, -not> > > just for their
late summer and> > > fall bloom period .....but mostly> > > because of
their exquisite heavenly> > > fragrance.> > >> > > All that they require
up here up here is a good> > >> > > humus soil with adequate moisture
and a> > > part shade location.> > >> > > Brian Carson Zn4> > >> > >
----- Original Message -----> > > From:> > > > > >
title=mhobertm@excite.com>Melody> > >> > > To: > > >> > >
href="mailto:AHS_GARDENING@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM";> > >> > >> >
>>titleS_GARDENING@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM>AHS_GARDENING@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
Subject: cimicifuga (aka black> > > snakeroot)> > > Dear all: Came
across a wonderful picture of> > > a plant called> > > cimicifuga...it
is a cultivar with beautiful> > > burgundy foliagethat I thought> > >
would make a wonderful addition to my shade> > > garden. When I went to
look it up> > > in my AHS plant guide, it said it has Melody,> > > IA