Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)/ C. acerina

Hello Kitty,
    If I could pick only one Cimicifuga I think it would be the maple leaf
fairy candles. It is the shortest of the ones I have grown at about 2 feet
when in bloom . Most of the time it is a large rosette of those cut and
textured leaves. I have mine on a sharp incline with large rocks, ferns,
hardy begonia and arum italicum which has red-orange berries just as the
fairy candles bloom along with the hardy begonia.
    This species of fairy candles also does not seem quite as critical about
moisture needs as it is coming into bloom. Also builds up clumps from
offsets quicker than some of the other species.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com