Re: zones

In a message dated 01/19/2003 6:24:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
chris@widom-assoc.com writes:

> Hi Godi,
> I believe that can be explained by the fact that I live on the Long
> Island Sound which moderates the temperatures on the shores of LI.  On
> the USDA Plant hardiness Map you can see how Long Island is a different
> zone than the rest of the state.  LI is the states largest grower of
> ornamental plants (with NYS being 6th in the nation).

 The Sound makes the big difference.  We are only about 50 miles north of
Long Island, in Westchester County, but a solid zone 5.  Towns in the
southern part of the county along the Sound can grow things that we can't
even think of here.  They are at least zone 6, if not 7.  But we are less
than 10 miles inland from the Hudson River, and at a fairly steep elevation.
My daughter-in-law used to live right down on the river, and her garden was
at least two weeks ahead of mine in the spring.  Nearness to the water and
elevation both make a difference.  Auralie