Re: Viburnum hanceanum

In a message dated 1/19/03 4:45:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
haskell@ncweb.com writes:

>           No, definitely Viburnum hanceanum, named for Dr. Henry Fletcher
> Hance, an English botanist who served in the British Consular Service in
> Canton Province and Hong Kong in the second half of the nineteenth century.
> As I mentioned, you will not find it in most of the usual sources: nothing
> in Dirr, Hortus, Hillier, Bean, Krussmann, Flint, Rehder, or RHS, but some
> folks are out there growing it.

 Of more interest, Josh, why are you drawn to this species?  Have you read
something that sends you hunting up some information?  There is the
possibility of a species once given species rank being found to be a form of
another previously named species.  A hundred years ago, named,  the name
could by now be changed many times and entered the world of nomenclature
confusion reigning out there in taxonomy land.

To locate the plant in the literature, you would need the currently
recognized botanical monograph on Viburnums.  A botanical garden would
probably research it for you given a reasonable length of time.  NY Botanic
is a good choice.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4