Re: zones/passiflora

Auralie:
I am in Zone 6 and tried to overwinter a passiflora but lost it.
Luckily, I kept a few clippings and now have two more plants.
They remained outdoors all season and then brought the pots
in for the fall and gave them a hard pruning WAY down.  The green
buds are popping up all over now.  I am hoping they don't grow too
fast before I can put them outside.  I want to design some sort
of lattice work in a corner of my yard for the pots.
They are in my laundry room right now in a window but it's only
50 degrees in there.
I mulched the heck out of the one I put in the ground but that
didn't help.

Danielle

In a message dated 01/19/2003 8:22:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
grdengrl@optonline.net writes:

> It's so cold that I'm really concerned for the passiflora incarnata, and
> some of the miniature roses that I planted over the summer of 2002!

Your miniature roses should be all right - they seem quite hardy here in zone
5. I have one that has grown in a fairly exposed spot for more than 20
years. The passiflora is another matter - we can't keep it here so this cold
might do it in. This is the first really cold winter since about '96, which
was a humzinger. I don't really think the climate change is going to be that
reliable in our lifetime, or at least mine, which won't be that extensive. I
have a friend in Brooklyn who grows all sorts of things that we can't even
think of here in Westchester, and she always expresses surprise that we can't
grow what she does.
Stay warm, Auralie