Re: zones/passiflora

In a message dated 01/21/2003 9:23:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
danirlavin@hotmail.com writes:

> I am in Zone 6 and tried to overwinter a passiflora but lost it.
> Luckily, I kept a few clippings and now have two more plants.
> They remained outdoors all season and then brought the pots
> in for the fall and gave them a hard pruning WAY down.  The green
> buds are popping up all over now.  I am hoping they don't grow too
> fast before I can put them outside.  I want to design some sort
> of lattice work in a corner of my yard for the pots.
> They are in my laundry room right now in a window but it's only
> 50 degrees in there.
> I mulched the heck out of the one I put in the ground but that
> didn't help.

  I have two different passifloras - don't really know the botanical names of
either.  Both were started from seed many years ago - one I bought from a
catalog, probably Gurney or Jung - the other from seed given me by an
Australian friend who said it was a native plant there.  Both live and thrive
in my house.  They are quite different, but each is easy to propagate.  I
have tried leaving both outside in the winter, and neither has survived even
a moderately cold spell.
 The American one has quite thin leaves and vines.  It lives under a lamp
beside a small couch, and climbs right up the wall and under the set of
bookshelves above the couch.  About twice a year I cut it down and divide and
repot the plant.  It will look bad for a couple of weeks, and then begins to
cover the wall again.
 The Australian one has larger, dark green, leathery leaves and a much
heftier vine with very sturdy tendrils that make great line material for
miniature flower arrangements.  This one lives in a south-west facing window
in the winter and in the summer it hangs in the breezeway between the house
and the garage - again a south-west exposure.  Twice a year when it moves,
indoors or out, I must cut away great masses of it and repot.  In the summer
it grows right over the garage roof, so doesn't seem to mind the heat from
the dark shingles.  I've had each of these for more than 20 years.  Neither
has done much in the way of blooming, but I keep them because I like the
foliage and vigorous growth.
  There are many things that I just don't even try to winter over outdoors -
the house begins to look like a jungle in the winter.  Auralie