Re: Re: We are so sorry to announce ......

"due to low participation"

Thanks for clarifying that Sue. I was having a tough time understanding
what you meant by "low participation". It seemed that every time we
'participated' too much the list crashed - for as much as 2 weeks. Then
when participation slowed in Dec-Jan because of the exodus, 'low
participation' became the problem. This left me confused, a sort of
Catch-22, damned if you do and damned if you don't, participate.

So now we know it wasn't our own participation that did us in - it was
lack of interest on the part of other AHS members. Four tenths of one
percent participation within an organization does sound pretty tiny -
and it's less than that since many of the subscribers were not AHS
members.

Understanding the situation, however, doesn't make the dumpee feel any
better. AHS opened this opportunity to us and embraced this new
communications tool. But they didn't participate. The low participation
was on the part of AHS. Yes, you advertised it in your mag, but AHS
never lead the way, never provided any structure by joining in. On the
AHS-MG list, which I assume you are dumping as well, we occasionally
received interesting news about newly released books from a hort book
publisher. AHS could have done something like that. Or sent a weekly
bulletin updating activities at River Farm. Or sent us interesting links
that we could discuss - just as people would meet for a book club. Lots
of ideas.

So maybe someday AHS will give it another shot. They may once again see
the need for a gardening forum where people can easily share ideas and
ask questions. They may see the value in this communication tool and
attempt to use it to better effect. Unfortunately, most of us will be
busy elsewhere.

Kitty