So sorry...

01/23  Sue, I echo what Bonnie has said in a previous message to you and
quoted below and thank you for all your efforts.  Perhaps, your best is
yet to come? :+)    Once again, I ask you to investigate what AARP has
done with their web site and message boards.  From appearances it seems
to work well...members get a place to communicate on various threads; get
specific information elsewhere on site; and there is some advertising
which hopefully brings in some income.    I firmly believe AHS should not
give up involving their members in an interactive web / Internet
experience.  You might also want to look at other sites such as
TimberPress or King Arthur Flour (VT) for ideas about the interactive
component.    Good Luck in all your endeavors...if you need ideas you
know you have about 100 webaholics out here!  Georgene (AKA Cercis) AHS
may wish to rethink its decision.  I recently retired after spending 23
years with my current employer.  I watched the business change from
exclusively paper to heavily electronic.  Resumes, contract drafts,
policies, opinions, and correspondence are now developed, reviewed and
distributed electronically.  The newer employees, those who grew up using
spreadsheets and electronic research and presentations in school, use
electronic means almost exclusively.  They ignore most sources that do
not have an electronic component.  As organizations begin to recruit
membership from these younger groups, they will need to offer something
other than paper formats.

The challenge is to make something like the listserve work for more of
your membership.  The sites of most of my professional organizations have
subject areas of information with forums attached so members can discuss
items of interest.  There are also listserves for broader interest areas
that members can sign up to receive.  The level of activity depends on
subjects and issues.  It  varies greatly from month to month.  These are
non-profit organizations with tight budgets so it can be done.  One of
the first things I did as a new member was to sign up for the list.

 --- Georgene Bramlage--- cercis2@earthlink.netPersonal Web Page: Over
the Garden Gate(http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/cercis2)Topics at
Suite101.com:Designing Home Landscapes(http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/17244)
- Begun November 2002A Homeowner's Guide to Landscaping (http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/16118)