Re: Re: tropical temps/was time question

looks like the citrus industry is going to get zinged again, melody. at least that's what the weatherreaders are saying on tampa tv. as you no doubt know, the "florida fruit belt" is due east of tampa, south and slightly west of orlando.

here at the plantation, we will mostly cross our fingers. there's just too much stuff to try to cover it [it's times like this when goodwill and sally ann sell out of used sheets]. i'm worried most about my sugar apples, but it would be a fool's errand to try to cover them. i can't worry about the mangoes, starfruit, guavas, litchis, pineapples, bananas, etc-etc; they're too big to cover. for the second year in a row, however, we will probably lose any chance that the loquats [now in full bloom] will set fruit--either the flowers will freeze or the pollinators will.

i did move my relatively expensive licuala palm into the lathhouse in the faint hope that would be sufficient protection and i've moved some of the moveable plants [ming aralias and such] back under the eaves. also of interest--one of david's fantastic hybrid hibiscus, which is in a pot too big to move without a forklift, is loaded with buds, one of which is about half open. beautiful flower [looks like the same one that's on his web site--name i forget]. we'll see what the cold does to it, the other buds, and the plant itself.

on the up side, this chill will likely encourage our two fig trees to give us a sensational crop next may. and it should traumatize the mulberry enough to really prune the hell out of it; back to a fruiting nub.

bet you're sorry you asked, huh.