From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Island Jim
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:47 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: tropical temps/was time question

looks like the citrus industry is going to get zinged again, melody. at
least that's what the weatherreaders are saying on tampa tv. as you no
doubt know, the "florida fruit belt" is due east of tampa, south and
slightly west of orlando.

here at the plantation, we will mostly cross our fingers. there's just
much stuff to try to cover it [it's times like this when goodwill and
ann sell out of used sheets]. i'm worried most about my sugar apples,
it would be a fool's errand to try to cover them. i can't worry about
mangoes, starfruit, guavas, litchis, pineapples, bananas, etc-etc;
too big to cover. for the second year in a row, however, we will
lose any chance that the loquats [now in full bloom] will set
the flowers will freeze or the pollinators will.

i did move my relatively expensive licuala palm into the lathhouse in
faint hope that would be sufficient protection and i've moved some of
moveable plants [ming aralias and such] back under the eaves. also of
interest--one of david's fantastic hybrid hibiscus, which is in a pot
big to move without a forklift, is loaded with buds, one of which is
half open. beautiful flower [looks like the same one that's on his web
site--name i forget]. we'll see what the cold does to it, the other
and the plant itself.

on the up side, this chill will likely encourage our two fig trees to
us a sensational crop next may. and it should traumatize the mulberry
enough to really prune the hell out of it; back to a fruiting nub.

bet you're sorry you asked, huh.