Re: fat birdies

That really ugly bird is probably a starling. Having lived, many moons ago, in Minnesota, I have no problem with the current temperatures; in fact, I enjoy winter much more than our west central Illinois summers. I feed safflower seeds, niger, and suet (refuse to make the birds share with the "tree rats", ie. squirrels). Most frequent visitors are doves, cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, tufted titmouse, goldfinches, juncos, red breasted woodpecker, hairy and downy woodpeckers, cardinals, jays, and a variety of native sparrows.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b