Re: Re: now elderly ramblings< now elderly wisdom (or any other kind o...

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: now elderly ramblings< now elderly wisdom (or any other kind o...
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:14:09 EST

In a message dated 1/23/03 10:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tchessie@yahoo.com writes:

> OK-  somebody quick tell me the secret- how do you keep going everyday and
> not just want to scream or stay in bed all day!  This has been a
> particularly bad week- but- man I need to win the lottery so I can retire
> and play in my garden instead of going to work!  I actually had to talk to
> my staff about cleaning up after themselves today
>
> So- how do you all keep your sanity??

That is a truly good question and will attract a variety of answers related
to age.  Passing 50 to 55, one knows that life is filled with reverses and
that every day is not a great day.  Following this, you also know the sun
comes up and the clock keeps ticking and you will be here tomorrow.  Looking
back over your years, you understand the situations that made you crazy at 30
or 40, you were equal to.  You just don't know it at the time.  As the years
go on, you do know you are equal to any disaster that may come your way.  I
think I can say this with some confidence as you are not writing messages on
the Internet if you have lost your sanity in your youth.  There is no secret,
youth is unsettled, aging cures that.

It all gets easier, you gain more confidence, you find ways to deal with
problems and if you have a garden and have the peace of a garden you are
blessed once more.  Painters or anyone who learns to paint along the way
seems to have the same peaceful outlook.  The sense of responsibility that
prompted this original message will be the same sense that will carry you
through the years.  If one asks this question, he is searching and will find
a way.   The older we get the more likely it is to hear criticism of youth,
it is so easy to forget.  Asking questions and searching for answers is a
good thing.  Making decisions is the other problem.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4 Cold here too, but with tons of snow and ice and WIND.  Could anything
be alive out there?