Re: Re: was time question/now figs

In a message dated 01/24/2003 6:48:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:

> they like it cool enough to go completely dormant. that does not,
> necessarily, mean a cold period. they are most at home in the us&a in the
> central valley of california, although they thrive in lots of other
> locations.

When I was growing up in the Florida Panhandle, we had a fig tree that was
big enough to climb up in.  I earned my first money by making fig preserves
for neighbors - 25 cents a quart.  When I was a teenager I developed an
allergy to the white sap - reacted to it like to poison ivy.  That area of
the state usually had a few freezing nights every winter.  They used to tell
us children that it "got too cold to snow."  The tree obviously could
withstand temperatures in the twenties, and I remember at least once that it
dropped into the teens - burst pipes were an annual event. I can relate to
your weather woes. That tree is probably long gone no matter what the