chat.  Certainly, you  or Dave Ellis can bounce in and out of the Chat
occasionally!

  ----- Original Message ----- From: Sue DickTo: cercis2@earthlink.netSent:
  01/23/2003 1:24:32 PM Subject: RE: So sorry...
  Thanks for writing, Georgene!I hope you'll be pleased to learn that
  we have just created an AHS website committee, made up of certain
  Internet/website savvy staff folks.  They'll soon be looking at ways
  to make our site better, more informative and more interactive, so
  another list serve somewhere in the future is a definite possibility
  - once we're sure we can handle one.- Sue

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Georgene Bramlage [mailto:cercis2@earthlink.net]
    Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:19 PM
    To: Dick Sue
    Cc: gardenchat
    Subject: So sorry...

    01/23  Sue, I echo what Bonnie has said in a previous message to
    you and quoted below and thank you for all your efforts.
    Perhaps, your best is yet to come? :+)    Once again, I ask you
    to investigate what AARP has done with their web site and message
    boards.  From appearances it seems to work well...members get a
    place to communicate on various threads; get specific information
    elsewhere on site; and there is some advertising which hopefully
    brings in some income.    I firmly believe AHS should not give up
    involving their members in an interactive web / Internet
    experience.  You might also want to look at other sites such as
    TimberPress or King Arthur Flour (VT) for ideas about the
    interactive component.    Good Luck in all your endeavors...if
    you need ideas you know you have about 100 webaholics out here!
    Georgene (AKA Cercis) AHS may wish to rethink its decision.  I
    recently retired after spending 23 years with my current
    employer.  I watched the business change from exclusively paper
    to heavily electronic.  Resumes, contract drafts, policies,
    opinions, and correspondence are now developed, reviewed and
    distributed electronically.  The newer employees, those who grew
    up using spreadsheets and electronic research and presentations
    in school, use electronic means almost exclusively.  They ignore
    most sources that do not have an electronic component.  As
    organizations begin to recruit membership from these younger
    groups, they will need to offer something other than paper
    formats.

    The challenge is to make something like the listserve work for
    more of your membership.  The sites of most of my professional
    organizations have subject areas of information with forums
    attached so members can discuss items of interest.  There are
    also listserves for broader interest areas that members can sign
    up to receive.  The level of activity depends on subjects and
    issues.  It  varies greatly from month to month.  These are
    non-profit organizations with tight budgets so it can be done.
    One of the first things I did as a new member was to sign up for
    the list.

   --- Georgene Bramlage--- cercis2@earthlink.netPersonal Web Page:
  Over the Garden Gate(http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/cercis2)Topics
  at Suite101.com:Designing Home Landscapes(http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/17244)