RE: feeding birds was: in defense of starlings was: fat birdies

Critters will do anything for water. I have a small floating heater in
my pond to keep the ice open. With the current low temps, it is amazing
to see all the different animal's foot prints in the snow all leading to
the open area of water. I am afraid someone is going to fall in the
pond. Not sure how sturdy and deep the ice is. Thinking those deer
prints are kinda big, so ... I will really be upset if something falls
in and drowns! The heater is near an edge, but these critters seem to be
walking across the pond, rather than just approaching it from the
edge... strange.

Cathy... be careful with the frozen stream. Friends almost drained the
pond when their waterfall ice block routed the water out of the pond. :(