Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy) was poke&garlic mustard

In a message dated 1/14/2003 6:36:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Aplfgcnys@aol.com writes:

> However, I couldn't agree with you more on
> garlic mustard - it's the bane of my life.  You have expressed distaste for
> Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy), too, which is the other most invasive weed
> in my garden.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of this stuff -- Glechoma hederacea
(ground ivy)?  Is roundup going to be my product of choice this spring?

I started with a little patch of it in my yard.  Tried pulling it -- it
didn't work.  Now I have massively spreading sections of it throughout my

Although it appears to choke out anything in its path, a small part of me
feels bad about getting rid of it due to the pretty purple flowers in the
spring & the fact that the bumble bees LOVE those flowers.  But it is
seriously getting out of hand.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7

"Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade."
Rudyard Kipling