Re: now plant clubs- Reverse sexism?!

When I first came to Quincy, IL, the only garden club was primarily social. With the encouragement of the extension office, interested gardeners started an educationally oriented organization. We are affiliated with the National Council of State Garden Clubs, but are constantly resisting the (considerable) pressure from the state organization to hold "flower shows". Our membership is interested in "dirt gardening" (horticulture?) not flower arranging, and learning more about the care and raising of plants that still have their roots.
Cathy