Re: Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy) was poke&garlic mustard

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy) was poke&garlic mustard
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 02:10:58 -0500

The only success I've had (and it is marginal) is pulling it out and
continuing to do so until no more remains - this over a several year
period.  It not only spreads by rooting down where the stems touch
soil, but those lovely flowers set copious seed, which sprouts
nicely.

In some areas of very loose soil composed of rotted woodchips, I roll
it up like a rug - massive, massive amounts.  Makes good compost if
your heap heats up well and you get it into the center where it gets
no light - otherwise, it just keeps growing.  Roots left in the
ground will resprout and any tiny bit of root will resprout, so
digging is probably just going to spread it around a bit more.  If
you don't let any leaves grow, eventually the roots die out, but the
seedbank in the soil remains for quite a number of years.

Rotsa ruck, there Eva...once you have ground ivy, you always have
ground ivy:-)

(BTW guys...ground ivy is not at all related to Hedera helix, the
evergreen ivy that grows up trees by attaching itself via its aerial
rootlets...totally different child.)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade