Re: now plant clubs- Reverse sexism?!

In a message dated 01/27/2003 12:28:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cathyc@rnet.com writes:

> As far as showing off the "fruits" of our labors ... wouldn't garden
> tours serve as well as flower shows?

Not at all.  First of all, you're not going to be able to see the gardens of
all the people who enter a flower show - maybe as many as 50 or more.
Secondly, many of these gardens aren't exhibition quality, even though the
specimens they produce are.  I know my garden wouldn't excite a lot of people
- has weeds, some plants that don't do well, etc. - yet I can usually produce
a handful of blue ribbon exhibits.  Also, isn't it exciting and inspiring to
see tables of prime specimens all set out together for comparison? As you may
have guessed, I love flower shows.  Auralie