Re: now plant clubs

I hope not to offend. Hoping to learn. My impression of horticulture classes in shows is that the exhibitors strive to produce the 'perfect specimen' of a particular flower (not certain if plants grown for foliage are included). Again, my impression of what is required to get to that 'perfect specimen' is that the gardener must create artificial conditions to get that result. Kind of like those largest pumpkin contests where the vine must be pruned of all developing fruits but one, fed liberally, and treated to the best of environments, possibly to the expense of the other plants in the garden. Then the creation must be harvested and kept at peak of perfection until the judging. Certainly such efforts speak to the expertise of the gardener in question, but also to his/her single mindedness. Please enlighten me as to the other parameters, their rationales, etc.
Cathy