Re: pruning caryopteris shrubs

Well, Pam, once upon a time I had a very nice Caryopteris who bloomed
and seemed quite happy.  I had it for several years and never pruned
it.  Then, I read about the same thing - "you must prune it to the
ground"...so, I did.  Killed it deader n'  a door nail.  Which goes
to prove that you should NOT believe everything you read and you
should NOT whack these guys back to ground level.

Now, like others who replied, I wait until signs of life and prune to
a bursting bud.  Seems the best course with most woody plants who
need a haircut.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] pruning caryopteris shrubs
> Date: Monday, January 27, 2003 8:55 PM
>
> Thanks Ceres! I read (somewhere) that you should cut them down to
about
> 3" from the ground, but that seemed a touch severe to me. I sent
the