From: Janet Laytham [mailto: jw.laytham@worldnet.att.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:17:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT-Reverse sexism?!

Kitty,
About 5 years ago I re-financed, and when the bank presented me with the
papers, the form was full of masculine pronouns: it assumed that the
mortgagee was a single male, I guess.  So, I started at the top and crossed
out all the "he, his, him" references and replaced each with the appropriate
feminine pronoun . It took me 10 minutes to get half way through, so I
finally stopped and announced to the loan officer that I had probably made
my point.

When I returned to the bank a few days later, the loan officer (a woman)
said her management had been very upset and berated her for letting me do
it.  They were afraid the county clerk wouldn't accept the deed.  I replied
that the clerk was probably a woman.  Of course it was filed and accepted.

I wonder if that bank still uses that form?
Janet