From: Maria Olshin [mailto: marolsh@ptd.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:46:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] feeding birds all year

I used to feed birds all year, but last spring a bear took down my feeder
and I was advised to put it up only from November to March. And the great
state of Pennsylvania is planning to fine people who feed bears, even
inadvertently, after a warning. The bear population in PA is growing, and
consequently the number of bear-human interactions is increasing. Some of
the newcomers think it's fun to feed the bears, and the deer, and the Canada
Geese, etc. etc. etc.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds are here from around Memorial Day until Labor
Day, although some transients pass through earlier and later.

NE PA, zone 5b

> From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] feeding birds all year
> I haven't noticed less feeding in summer, just a slightly different
> crew at the feeders;-)  You're lucky to have hummers all year - how
> neat!  Mine leave sometime in September and come back in late April.
> Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> mtalt@hort.net
> Editor:  Gardening in Shade
> Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part 3 - Amorphophallus
> All Suite101.com garden topics :
> http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
> ----------
>> From: Theresa- yahoo <tchessie@yahoo.com>
>> Thanks Marge- the info you provided here is the same as I have been
>> operating on for some time.  I feed seed eaters all year, they eat
>> noticeably less in mid summer and I take down the thistle feeder at
> some
>> point after the goldfinch are gone for the summer.  I also feed my
>> hummingbirds all winter also- with a slightly strong sugar
> solution- more
>> calories per sip for the little guys.  The info I have read
> indicates that
>> people do not prevent timely migration by feeding any birds- and
> for my area
>> Anna's hummers are here all winter.

The most personalized portal on the Web!</font>