From:  [mailto: ECPep@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:51:00 EST
Subject: Re: [CHAT] tetnus vaccine

In a message dated 1/30/03 4:27:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mhobertm@excite.com writes:

> haven't had one in about 10 years and recently remember hearing that
> tetanus is a soil borne pathogen...

That is true.  It is also skinborne.  Manured or humus rich soils are more
likely to contain the bacteria.  It is a spore forming bacteria making it
especially difficult to kill with aseptic methods.  A gardener should be
aware as it enters BWO skin wounds.

However the question of interest is, in your state can you find a doctor with
the vaccine?  In NYS there is no tetnus vaccine available from a private
doctor, you need to go to a hospital where it is kept in supply by the ER.
This has been so for around two years or more.

My visiting nephew from Florida stepped on a nail and it went through the
tissue between his toes.  The ER in a NY hospital charged him 400.00 for the
service as he was not insured in NY.  Ask what your state health dept. is
doing for public health services such as supplying tetnus vaccine.

The ten year window on revaccination is thought to be five by some
authorities though it is seldom done unless an event takes place. Strange
situation.  Tetnus vaccine had been available freely for years.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4

The most personalized portal on the Web!</font>