Re: Steinhardt Conservatory - BBG

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 6:37 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Steinhardt Conservatory - BBG

> So, Mariana,
> If they propagate everything they grow, but don't sell any of it, what
> do they do with it?

Plant it? Decorate the grounds with it?

 I would expect if they take cuttings from a shrub,
> they'd propagate at least one full tray. When a perennial needs
> dividing, they'd only have growing space for the ones they need. Are all
> the extras farmed out to other conservatories?

Extras are used as swaps with other non for profit botanical
organizations, and some get composted. Believe it or not, they make more
money when they sell plants from other sources.

Mariana
NYC Brooklyn, Zone 6b
http://photos.yahoo.com/gardengrl911