Re: Rose Bowl Parade

Bonnie, have you seen the RB parade in person?  No way a  photo or tv can
match seeing the real beauty of the floats.  Fortunately, tv does not show the
ugly human mess either.  The crowd moves onto the parade route much before the
day of the parade bringing old sofas, chairs, etc. for their campout.  Also,
there is a tradition of throwing marshmallows the night before so the streets
are covered with smashed mallows.  I have attended the parade only once (when
Iowa played in the Rose Bowl in the 90s) but it is  a favorite memory.
    Iowa played in Florida again this year so Jim your wonderful state has
another great northern boost to your economy and in exchange returns with a
victory.  Mardi will need to fill us in on the details when she returns.
    Temps were in the low 60s yesterday (yes, even in Iowa) but considerably
cooler today and a great storm is headed our way.  Donna, we have not
experienced the rains you continue to get.  The outdoor lights and greens are down,
packed and the plastic cartons moved into storage while the temps are warm.  I
always feel good after everything is moved back into place and cleaned.  I love
the decorations during the holidays but seems like a lot of clutter is stored
when it's put away.
    I wish you all a great gardening experience for 2004.  I hope for just
the right amount of moisture, normal temperatures, a true spring, knockout plant
combinations  performing as if your soil was truly organic loam, reduction of
weeds, insects, disease and animal damage.  What more could a gardener wish
for?  With this we could all sit on our garden benches and enjoy the rewards.
    Have any of you found 'to die for' new plants?  I have not yet rcd White
Flower, Plant Delights or Singing Springs catalog.