Re: Rose Bowl Parade AND Plant Catalogs...

In a message dated 1/3/04 4:41:39 PM, wmorgan972@ameritech.net writes:

<< Park Seed has sent an e-flier featuring "Catchfly (Viscaria oculata)" and
"Balloon Flower AstraBalloon Flower Astra" that seemed pretty interesting.
Has anyone grown these from seed or seedlings? >>

Bonnie, Catchfly as I know it is Silene or Lychnis.  Is this a
reclassification?  BTW, I have grown both Silene & Lychnis from seed and both are great
reseeders.  I find it interesting that this is listed in the index as catchfly not
Viscaria.  Platycodon is another plant that has become almost invasive in my
garden as it reseeds and the root system goes deep.  One of my favorites is
the very short, large blooming, 'Sentimental Blue' which I have started from
seed.  I have 'Komachi' in my garden (just below Astra) and it is my favorite
tall Platycodon but was purchased as a plant.