Re: Plant Catalogs...

Re: Bonnie & Ceres: > << Park Seed has sent an e-flier featuring "Catchfly
(Viscaria oculata)"...Catchfly as I know it is Silene or Lychnis.  Is this a
> reclassification?

I'm pretty sure it is now called Silene coeli-rosa.

I did some searching on this. Many plants of the Viscaria genus were
reclassified as Lychnis.  The only one I know that stayed is Viscaria
DROPS, though from that first common name, it is probably a Lychnis now,
too, especially since RHS considers Viscaria viscosa an "unchecked name".

Since I find no mention of Viscaria occulata, I tried Lychnis oculata.  This
has been reclassified as Silene coeli-rosa.  Just to be sure I checked for a
Silene viscosa and Silene oculata; no such names.  However, there is Lychnis
viscaria, common name Sticky Catchfly.

So it would seem from searching reliable Botanical Name references, that the
name may have been arrived at by a series of changes in genus and species.
This is not to say that other catalogues don't uphold the name, though, cuz
here's a few examples:

Viscaria oculata, common name: Rose Angel

I vote for which is illustrated at eseeds.com:

Silene coeli-rosa (Viscaria oculata) 'Brilliant Mix'
Silene coeli-rosa (Viscaria oculata) 'Patio Mixed'
Silene coeli-rosa (Viscaria oculata) 'Ruby Tuesday'