From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 8:51 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] need a plant recomendation

Hum.. guess that is the difference in gardening in Il vs CA... I thought
they would do well there since the wall and grass would shade the roots.

Everything will still be frozen here in Feb :) Chris sent an interesting
honeysuckle suggestion, mine is very similar, same flower, green leaves.
Maybe Chris knows the name of mine, has to be native around here since I
picked it up from a nursery down the road that only deals with local
natives.

Donna
Who really should know the name, drawing a total blank... but not going
out there to find out :)

> Clematis- I wish!  I have horrible luck with clematis-  I'v killed a
half
> dozen- and the heat from the side walk and street would toast the
roots.

> Don't drown to get to your honeysuckle-  It'll be at least a month
before
> get around to planting for the light pole.  I did get 3/4 of "plants
in
> waiting" on the back porch planted today! Yeah!  Had to look some of
them
> up
> to remember where to plant them (sun/shade).  In the process I found
that
> my
> arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree) had buds on it!  Also, a tiny (3-4
inches
> tall) little Daphne odorata has buds on it (I'm hoping they won't fall
off
> due to the transplant!) I ammended the soil around it with pumice,
orchid
> bark and sand in hopes of keeping it alive.
>
> I've still got more to plant, and need to move some of the plants from
the
> back (too much shade) out to the south side wall.   Also need to move
3
> full
> size roses out front also- due to similar shade issues.  One is a
Tiffany

http://www.hort.net/funds/