Re: Tony's Tree

I had wondered about that, Barbara.  Seems to me that our native C.
florida can recover from it.  I asked Diana if she knew why they were
dying in the wild but have not heard back from her on it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Barbara Tandy <sundrops@earthlink.net>
> Yes they too are subject to Anthracnose.  I don't know why they are
dying in
> the wild but they are rather sensitive understory trees.
> --Barb Tandy, California

Lordy
> > > is my inbox now in a mess.  Anyway, as you may remember, I said
I'd
> > > emailed Diana Reeck of Collector's Nursery about a tree
> > > recommendation.  Bless her heart, she got right back to me and
this
> > > is what she said:
> > >
> > > "Anyway, two trees that I can think of right off hand that do
well
> > > are Stewartia or any of the Cornus kousa selections. They both
have
> > > nice form,. good flowers, great fall color and interesting
bark. (The
> > > stewartia especially),  We don't have any in stock right now,
but
> > > most local nurseries carry nice size plants in the spring, but
for a
> > > mail order source out here you might try Gossler Farms in
> > > Springfield, OR. He usually carries nice size plants in a
minimum 1
> > > gallon pot, and maybe larger. "
> > >
> > > "You're right about Pacific Dogwoods - not a good choice - they
are
> > > even dying in the wild. "
> > >
> > > Sad to find the Pacific Dogwood is not a good choice and even
sadder
> > > to see they are dying in the wild - don't know why, but that's
sad.

> > > Haven't caught up on the list mail so not sure what has
happened
> > > about this in the last week or so...expect I shall find out as
I wade