Re: Gene's Catalogue & Hort.net Pictures

> Gene's catalogue came today.  He is
> offering Tricyrtis flava this year....Ooooooooh! YELLOW Flowers!
> So I checked Gene's site for a pic, but there was none. Granted, this is
> new to Gene's catalogue, so it's understandable that he hasn't put a pic
> up yet. So I checked the Hort.net gallery and Chris has 2 really good
> photos of T. flava. Thanks, Chris, that helps!

Hi Kitty,

   The hort.net picture should be up on munchkinnursery.com -- when did
   you check?  There was a little bit of a mixup where some plants and
   images weren't listed on the site (my fault!), so if you were looking
   for something there and missed it, you might want to check again.  It
   was fixed as of about 5am this morning.

   Tricyrtis flava is a great little plant!  The one in the picture is
   actually one that I purchased from Gene a few years ago, and I love it!
   The little guy is just that -- little.  My only disappointment is that
   the flowers don't last very long, but they're well worth it!  Buy a
   dozen before some savvy shopper finds them and buys out Gene's inventory!

> Chris - why do you have people grade your photos? They are all
> fantabulous and such an extensive quality gallery doesn't require the
> viewers' approval.

   I just like setting myself up for negative reinforcement.  :)

   Seriously, there are a couple of reasons.  The first is that it helps
   me figure out which pictures I need to upgrade/replace.  Well, at least
   in theory...  I always wanted to carry the list of bad photos around
   with me when I'm shooting, but I never remember.  :)

   The other reason is the algorithm that the site uses to figure out which
   photo to display first.  In some cases there are multiple pictures for a
   single plant (Mertensia virginica comes to mind), and of course, all are
   of varying quality.  By having people vote on the images, the system
   figures out which ones are best (based on the average score) and displays
   those first.  That way the best image is always displayed when someone
   goes to a plant.  This means that if I add a photo at a later date,
   it still has a chance to be listed first if it's of better quality and
   has been voted on by folks.

   Probably more than you wanted to know...  :)