Re: Glechoma was: Progress on the garden wall

:-) Melody...thought it just might be that child.

Oddly enough, the old Time-Life Gardening Encyclopedia I have has one
very nice image where someone used that as a groundcover - so it has
been done. Other plants will grow through it, as well, so if you pick
your plants, you could use it as a groundcover, but you'd have to
watch it as it would not be satisfied to stay where you want it.

it's actually a fairly handsome plant if it just did not have such a
desire for world domination.  I must pull bushels of it every year.
Problem is that it not only spreads over ground, it seeds around and
it will come back from roots left in the soil as well.  It takes
incredible persistence to rid an area of it, but it can be done a bit
at a time.

You can cover it with black plastic, which will kill it off in a
season, but you have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't sneak out the
 edges on you.  And even after you've killed off a huge swath of it,
the seed still persists so you have to keep after the area and make
sure to pull all seedlings the moment they germinate.  After 2 or 3
years of this, you can pretty well win the battle.

There is a variegated form on the market; a really pretty thing, but
like the marvelous variegated form of poke weed, I would not have it
in the garden no matter how lovely it is....let alone pay money for
it!

It does make good compost if you get it in the middle of the heap so
the heat kills it; on the edges of the heap, it just flourishes!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers