From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Cersgarden@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 6:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rose Bowl Parade AND Plant Catalogs...

In a message dated 1/3/04 4:41:39 PM, wmorgan972@ameritech.net writes:

<< Park Seed has sent an e-flier featuring "Catchfly (Viscaria oculata)" and
"Balloon Flower AstraBalloon Flower Astra" that seemed pretty interesting.
Has anyone grown these from seed or seedlings? >>

Bonnie, Catchfly as I know it is Silene or Lychnis.  Is this a
reclassification?  BTW, I have grown both Silene & Lychnis from seed and
both are great
reseeders.  I find it interesting that this is listed in the index as
catchfly not
Viscaria.  Platycodon is another plant that has become almost invasive in my

garden as it reseeds and the root system goes deep.  One of my favorites is
the very short, large blooming, 'Sentimental Blue' which I have started from

seed.  I have 'Komachi' in my garden (just below Astra) and it is my
tall Platycodon but was purchased as a plant.