From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 4:24 PM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] 61-degree heat wave

Was 61 at 6 this morning and has been falling ever since. Of course, up
where the short one's kids live it's been in negative numbers all day.
I've done my best to forget what that's like, however. Must be some
Puritan need for self-flagellation that makes them want to live there.

All of our christmas cacti have decided to bloom this week in spite of
the cranky weather. Not just the yellow and purple we acquired last
weekend but the red and yellow and pink ones that have been hanging out
here for a few years. Blue--some genetic engineer needs to slip the
color gene from chicory into the Schlumbergia gene pool. Now that would
be sensational. The wild chicory has to most beautiful shade of blue of
any flower anywhere. Bright. Electric.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10