Re: 61-degree heat wave

Kinda missed this the first time around. Sorry.

Love the coffee at Cafe du Monde. Have ever since I lived for a spell in that fair city. Even have two different versions of its tourist take-away cups. The usual coffee-chicory blend in NOLa is Louisanne, but there are others--French Market, for example, which may be a brand associated with Cafe du Monde.

And, Kitty, Postum is all kinds of yucky stuff, like the dregs of roasted barley and other roasted and pulverized wholesome grains hyped by Dr. Kellogg--who is, after all, the father of the high colonic, not to mention corn flakes ;>) Terrible stuff on all fronts [or backs].

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, at 06:42 PM, Kitty wrote:

Another note about chicory - Cafe du Monde in NOLA still blends chicory in
their world famous coffee. It's too harsh for me, though. Even though I
always drink my coffee black, I can't drink theirs black. So, Cafe au lait
it is!
Then there was the coffee shortage in the depression - or was it during the
war? I don't know, wasn't born yet - when chicory was readily used as a
coffee substitute. I think you can still buy Postum.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Holmes" <holmesbm@usit.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 8:23 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] 61-degree heat wave

I agree with the wild chicory shade of blue. A story...once, when about
married for three years, my husband brought home a bouquet. It was
gorgeous!!! But to our dismay, the blossoms faded by afternoon. It took
several more years to realize that they would perk back up the next day.
Also, learned that old timers called chicory "the time plant" because they
could tell from the blossoms when it was time to come in from the fields
for lunch.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN