Re: Clivia Golden Dragon

> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
> Let me know what other folks say about the site.  It might be
something the
> grandboy might enjoy!
----------

Well, Bonnie, got some responses from CP list and here they are:

"from the looks of the site, looks to be a retail site for Booman
Floral.  The facilities look like it and they would be the only one
that could state largest wholesaler in the US.  They however do have
limited varieties within their line.  So largest in volume, not in
selection. They supply home depot chains down south and some others.
"

"I don't know anything about them, but yes, that's the cheesy label
(and naming) that was
on the first few CPs i bought when i got back into the hobby a few
years ago.  They seem
to provide most of the plants to garden centers and such (at least in
my experience), so
perhaps their claim is true."

"Plants for Kids is the retail outlet for the wholesale company,
Booman
Floral.  I've bought from them many times and their quality varies.
They seem to do
a fairly good job with sundews and butterworts, but Sarracenia have
been
sketchy over the last two years.  I don't usually get flytraps from
them.

The first time I ordered from them they were offering some of Larry
Mellichamp's UNCC Sarracenia hybrids.  They were some of the
prettiest mass marketed
pitcher plants I had ever seen.  They seem to have undergone some
changes in
manangement and the quality took a nose-dive.  Incidentally, they are
the source
for the Sarracenia hybrid, "Cobra Nest"."

So, it appears they are a legitimate site; their parent company
supplies mass market plants (Home Depot, etc.) and the quality
varies.

Jim noted that if the Clivia has less than 12 leaves, it's a
seedling.  They say theirs have 3 leaves, so must be young seedlings,
esp. as they are selling in a 3" pot - this is NOT a big pot.  But,
the price sure beats what you generally see for yellow Clivia on the
net and it appears that they ought to be selling what they say they
are.

My concern was whether they were a legit. company and they are from
the above reports, so with Caveat emptor in mind, I'd say it would be
OK to order something from them.  They do have a page about how to
care for carnivorous plants that gives correct (if sketchy)
information and stresses the need for using distilled or rain water
to water the plants. This is critical.  They do not really give
thorough information on the care of carnivorous plants and I don't
approve of them encouraging kids (or anybody) to poke flytraps with a
toothpick to watch the traps shut.  That drains energy from the plant
and as they do point out, the trap will die after about 4 shuttings.
You really don't want to do that to plants.  Do it enough and the
flytrap will depart this planet since it used all its energy to shut
the trap and got no nutrients in return, yet had to make a new trap.
 Be aware that they are selling very young flytraps - they say how
large the traps are; they are minuscule, hence really young plants
that couldn't take much poking to shut the traps and survive long.

But, I figure that they, like most US companies, think they have to
stress 'fun' and 'easy care' to encourage people to buy their plants.
 I'm not against either of these items, but I don't like misleading
kids into thinking something is 'easy' when it requires some care to
thrive.  I think it would be more disappointing to a child to get a
carnivorous plant and have it die fairly promptly from lack of proper
care than to learn what it really required for success in the first
place.  Never ceases to amaze me how we tend to 'dumb' things down in
this country.  We can't all be bloomin' idiots, can we?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers