Re: weather

Pam, I think you should consider two things.  One, is that if everybody loved
hot weather as much as you do, you would be crowded out.  Look at Florida and
California now  - far too many people.  The other is that many of us have
chosen to live in different climates for reasons other than gardens - jobs, in
I grew up in the Florida panhandle, and couldn't wait to get away from that
whole ambience.  I fell in love with New York before I ever though I could
live here.  I won't say I married my husband because he was a ticket to New York,
but it didn't hurt.  We lived in the city for nearly three  years - until my
second child was immanent.  We knew we couldn't really afford to live there
with small children, but thought we could live in the "country" for a few years
and then move back.  It  was about fifteen years before I really realized I
could never live in the city again.  I still could live there if we could afford
"garden apartments" like some people we knew once had - but I doubt they even
exist for millionaires any more.
  I don't enjoy the extreme cold we are having this year, but it's mostly
because I am concerned for my plants.  If we had had a snow cover last week when
the temps were below zero I wouldn't have been so concerned.  I enjoy the tr
ansitions from one season to another. Of course you can grow things  that we
can't, but we can grow things that you can't.  My grandmother, who had been a
child in upstate New York, never got over longing for lilacs and peonies which
would not grow in Florida.  I would  hate to give them up, too.  Others talk
about having different interests in the winter.  I, too, have other interests,
but not seasonal.  My indexing business takes up a lot of time whatever the
season, but since I am free-lance it is erratic.  Been very busy this winter.  The
gardens I build in my daydreams during the winter when the seed catalogs
arrive are as great a pleasure to me as the ones that actually develop during the
growing seasons - sometimes better because the actual ones never quite live up
to my dreams.  So don't feel sorry for us northeners, or look down on us for
being misguided about where we live.  We love our gardens.  The motto of the
current president of the Federated Garden Clubs of New York State is "Bloom
where you're planted."  That's what we try to do.