Re: messages/snow

Yeah, cats do have unique personalities.

When Beans was new to us, at about 9 months of age, she loved to grab a pair of the short one's white pantyhose and race around the condo with it flying behind, like a silk scarf. She also loved to escape into the hallway when I was getting the morning paper and race for the elevators. One morning she escaped with the white pantyhose--one small black cat with six feet of scarf ripping down the hall, her back feet running slightly faster than her front feet until she was running sideways. The condo association regularly sent us tart notes about Beans being loose in the hall.

And that reminds me that a friend had a condo where her floor had a "cats' hour" every evening. All the units with cats opened their doors and let the cats simply roam.

On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 09:06 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 01/22/2004 2:09:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
Snow is rare here. Sugar is 8 1/2 and has only seen it twice. She's
impressed either. Too cold and wet on her little feeties.

Cats in snow who are not used to it always crack me up.  Lifting one
paw and then the other and getting looks on their faces that speak
volumes.  For animals with very few facial muscles, cat faces can
certainly be expressive

Cats' whole bodies are expressive. My cats can say more with their ears and
tails > than some people with language.

Our big male cat hates snow with a passion. He had the traumatic experience
when he was a kitten of rushing out the door and and falling into a pit filled
with snow. He wasn't hurt - it was only a couple of feet deep and he was
quickly rescued - but he has never gotten over it. He just puts his paws over
his nose and hibernates when it snows. Our fat white cat goes out and in as
often as we open the door whatever the weather is, but she always protests when
she comes in if it has been cold outside.
But - we once had a cat who loved the snow. She would lie on her back in the
middle of the drive when it was snowing and bat at the flakes. She was odd
in other ways, too, but a dear, and I still miss her.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10